Bus is closed but I came to this issue while observing issues with:
GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.14)

I sorted it out by adding:
(require 'iso-transl)

Packages, which is subscribed to emacs24 in Ubuntu.

  Can't type accented characters anymore: <dead-acute> is undefined

Status in Emacs-snapshot:
  Triaged
Status in emacs24 package in Ubuntu:

  When you type an accented character through a dead-key, you might get
  one of:

     <dead-acute> is undefined
    <dead-grave> is undefined
    <dead-tilde> is undefined
    <S-dead-tilde> is undefined
    <dead-diaeresis> is undefined
    <S-dead-diaeresis> is undefined

  or something similar.

  On the web, I found several workaround:

  1/ launch emacs with "XMODIFIERS='' emacs"
  2/ type C-x 8 RET RET once
  3/ add "(require 'iso-transl)" to your .emacs.d/init.el or .emacs file

  Upstream report: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=15135
  and http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=15891