Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: chromium-browser (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  [snap] password store issue, plus  keepassxc integration fail

Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:

  Since switching to 20.04 I see a lot of problems with my standard
  browser (chromium-browser), which seem to be related to snap.

  Problem can be described as: Password management impossible
  * chromium does not remember passwords and cannot import from csv
  * chromium does not allow integration of keepassxc as a workaround to broken
internal storage

  * after migration from 18.04 the pw storage format seemed to have changed, so
I needed to create new profiles, old password dbs were broken/inaccessible.
  * the following applies to fresh profiles, too (without addons and other
config)
  * Chromiums internal password store does not store any passwords any more,
none are shown in the list, none get stored, none imported

  Settings:
  chrome://settings/passwords
  [x] Offer to save passwords
  [x] Auto Sign-in
  [ ] google account

  [enabled] chrome://flags/#PasswordImport

  Saved passwords
  > Saved passwords will appear here
  [none saved]

  * import from csv does not work
  * fill in passwords does not work
  * save credentials does not work,
      * sometimes a user list can appear (autofill of username fields)

  I tried to switch to an external password manager (keepassxc), but failed,
since
  * chromium cannot connect to keepassxc (seems to be a snap issue), while
firefox in parallel can
  * Extension "KeePassXC-Browser" needed
(https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/keepassxc-browser/oboonakemofpalcgghocfoadofidjkkk)

  The keepass helper script denies snap installs:
  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/keepassxreboot/keepassxc/master/utils
  /keepassxc-snap-helper.sh

  ```
  askBrowserSnap() {
      if (whiptail --title "Snap Choice" --defaultno \
              --yesno "Is this browser installed as a snap (usually NO)?" 8
60); then
          # BASE_DIR="$1"
          whiptail --title "Snap Choice" --msgbox "Sorry, browsers installed as
snaps are not supported at this time" 8 50
          exit 0
      fi
  }
  ```

  Is there any workaround

  Version:
  Version 84.0.4147.105 (Official Build) snap (64-bit)

  apt-cache policy chromium-browser
  chromium-browser:
    Installed: 83.0.4103.97-0ubuntu0.20.04.1

  snap list
  Name               Version             Rev   Tracking         Publisher
Notes
  chromium           84.0.4147.105       1260  latest/stable    canonical✓  -

  Additional questions
  The snap install of a central component like a browser is an annoyance,
breaking other stuff, too (e.g. access to files): are there proper packages for
apt somewhere?
  I spent hours already to try finding what is going on with $browser.
  Can snap be completely deactivated?