i can observe no fractional scaling on a default installation dell xps5790 even
with a single monitor (4k).
Connecting a second monitor the scaling is not working separately either.
The most obvious effect is that the right side (top bar) goes off screen.
I tried scaling with different display resolution to no avail.

I eventually started just using a lower display resolution and gave up
on fractional scaling.

nvidia 450
libmutter-6-0:
  Installed: 3.36.6-1ubuntu0.20.04.2
--------
xrandr program version 1.5.0
Server reports RandR version 1.6

------------
lspci
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 630 (Mobile)
(rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    DeviceName: Onboard IGD
    Subsystem: Dell UHD Graphics 630 (Mobile)
    Memory at eb000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
    Memory at 80000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
    I/O ports at 4000 [size=64]
    Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [virtual] [disabled] [size=128K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: i915
    Kernel modules: i915

I found the prime-select toggle and set it to intel... same issue

** Attachment added: "xrandr --verbose #during broken scaling"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mutter/+bug/1857383/+attachment/5431932/+files/xrandr.txt

Packages, which is subscribed to mutter in Ubuntu.

  Fractional scaling applies to both monitors when you only want it on
  one

Status in Mutter:
  Invalid
Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:

  I have installed Ubuntu 20.04 about 2-3 weeks ago (for the single
  motive that has fractional scalling) and when activating fractional
  scalling worked fine, in the meantime i reinstalled again Ubuntu 20.04
  (laptop warranty issue) on same hardware but using the latest Ubuntu
  20.04 version and now when i activate fractional scalling it does not
  work anymore.

  The issue is that it basically zooms both the displays, i can explain
  best by attaching the printscreens and a picture with my phone on the
  same thing.You will see in the photo taken with the phone how it
  actually scales now and how the screenshots are taken...

  Let me know what logs/commands etc is needed to pinpoint this which i
  think is a regression.

  The monitor on which i want to scale is 4k and is connecting through DELL
DA300 adapter through USB-C/Thunderbolt ( i have also tried using Dell Dock
WD19 but same issue).
  ---
  DisplayManager: gdm3
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 20.04
  GsettingsChanges: b'org.gnome.mutter' b'experimental-features'
b"['scale-monitor-framebuffer']"
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS "Focal Fossa" - Alpha amd64 (20191127)
  Package: gnome-shell 3.34.1+git20191024-1ubuntu1
  PackageArchitecture: amd64
  RelatedPackageVersions: mutter-common 3.34.2-2ubuntu1
  Tags:  focal
  UserGroups:

  _MarkForUpload: True