Thank you for the bug report, it's already known as bug #1899509

** Changed in: gnome-control-center (Ubuntu)

   Mouse/touchpad settings not applied on hotplug/reconnect/resume

  Mouse settings ignored when plugging in a new mouse

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:

  I'm running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on a Dell XPS 13 laptop with an external
  mouse and keyboard connected via a USB switch.*

  I've set the mouse to left-handed operation (i.e. primary mouse button
  = right) using gnome-control-center; this works fine for a while and
  shows the expected setting on the command line:

  > gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.mouse left-handed
  true

  ...however if I leave the laptop for a while and come back to it, the
  mouse has reverted back to right-handed operation.  The really curious
  thing is that gnome-control-center still shows the expected setting
  (primary mouse button = right).

  To set the mouse as desired, I have to change the primary mouse button
  to left and then back to right in gnome-control-center.

  It's almost as if gsettings is reverting the mouse configuration and
  becoming out of sync with gnome-control-center.

  *The laptop is connected to a monitor using a single USB-C cable; the monitor
acts as a USB hub and is connected to a USB switch such that I can use a single
keyboard and mouse with two machines.

  Package: gnome-control-center 1:3.36.4-0ubuntu2
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.11
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Wed Nov 11 19:51:39 2020
  DistributionChannelDescriptor:
   # This is the distribution channel descriptor for the OEM CDs
   # For more information see
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/DistributionChannelDescriptor
   canonical-oem-somerville-bionic-amd64-20190418-59+beaver-osp1+X00
  ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/gnome-control-center
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04 "Bionic" - Build amd64 LIVE Binary
20190418-12:10
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
   PATH=(custom, user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: gnome-control-center
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to focal on 2020-09-22 (50 days ago)