> I can confirm that toggling repeat keys off and on again fixes the
issue temporarily for the current session.

Also changing the repeat speed.

It would be nice if this toggling would be possible from CLI.
This way I wouldn't have to go in the settings every time my computer woke up
from sleep.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.

  usb keyboard settings (repeat rate and delay) reset on plugin

Status in GNOME Settings Daemon:
  Fix Released
Status in gnome-settings-daemon package in Ubuntu:

  I like a fairly fast repeat rate and low delay when typing.

  In the course of using my laptop (Dell Vostro 1500), I sometimes plug
  in a USB keyboard.  Every time I do this, I notice that the repeat
  rate and delay on the USB keyboard are way slow and high, while the
  built-in keyboard repeat rate and delay are as I like them (fast and
  low).

  To fix this, every time I plug in the USB keyboard, I have to go to
  System→Preferences→Keyboard, slightly move the Speed slider, then
  Close the dialog.  (Note that the sliders haven't changed from the
  last invocation of this application, just that the settings apparently
  need to be reapplied internally.)

  I believe that at least these keyboard settings (repeat rate and
  delay) should be universal for all keyboards.

  Repeatable: always.
  How to reproduce:
   1. plug in a USB keyboard
   2. Note current repeat-rate and delay.
   3. Change repeat-rate and delay via System->Preferences->Keyboard
   4. Unplug and re-plugin the USB keyboard.
   5. Return to step 2.

  Possibly related bugs:
  Bug #295990
  Bug #426176

  $ uname -a
  Linux hani 2.6.28-15-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 18 19:25:34 UTC 2009
x86_64 GNU/Linux

  $ lsb_release -a
  No LSB modules are available.
  Distributor ID:       Ubuntu