@seb128 — Hmm, maybe I'm wrong about it being maintained. It's just that
it shows a lower level of compatibility in its Extensions listing. Sorry
if I was wrong.

I don't recall where specifically I have came across the recommendation
for NG, but I found it referenced in several places when I was trying to
solve another problem with Desktop Icons (it shows a permanent error
that cannot be fixed).

In any case, even if Desktop Icons is maintained, it lacks the features
that NG has, so it would be much easier to just use the latter than to
try to fix the former. I would hate to return to Desktop Icons, having
used Desktop Icons NG (DING) for some time.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop
Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons in
Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1906420

Title:
  Please replace default Gnome extension "Desktop Icons" with "Desktop
  Icons NG (DING)" (by the same author)

Status in gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  By default, Ubuntu installs the Gnome extension "Desktop Icons" [1]
  (by rastersoft).

  Unfortunately, this extension is now unmaintained, is problematic, and
  leads to several bugs, including but not limited to Bug #1901150 and
  Bug #1813441.

  The same author has created, and continues to maintain, the far
  superior "Desktop Icons NG (DING)" [2]. It solves a number of problems
  including the two aforementioned bugs.

  It's possible to disable, but not uninstall, "Desktop Icons", and then
  to install "Desktop Icons NG (DING)". I did this a while ago with
  great results.

  If Canonical replaces the former with the latter, not only will Ubuntu
  be using a better desktop manager, but also it will be able clear all
  related bugs at a stroke.

  This is a simple, cheap, quick and effective solution that will let
  the devs concentrate on more important tasks.

  Please give this serious consideration.

  
  More information:

  Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS
  64-bit
  Gnome version 3.36.3

  
  [1] https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1465/desktop-icons/

  [2] https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/2087/desktop-icons-ng-ding/

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons/+bug/1906420/+subscriptions

-- 
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
Post to     : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Reply via email to