The cause is `gs_plugin_add_alternates` doesn't set the
`snap::confinement` metadata item, so the channels other than the
default aren't detected as classic.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-software in Ubuntu.

  gnome-software cannot install classic snaps if a channel is selected

Status in snap-store-desktop:
  Confirmed
Status in gnome-software package in Ubuntu:

  I tried installing Android Studio from gnome-software. In the top
  right dropdown, it asks for the source. For Andoid Studio it displays
  Ubuntu. I was suspicious of it being a deb and not a snap. So I
  clicked on it and it shown me 3 Snap channel options. I selected
  latest/stable. The source changed according to my selection. Then I
  tried installing it but it failed saying:

  Unable to install "Android Studio": snap "android-studio" requires
  classic confinement

  I was puzzled. So I went back to the search menu, I clicked again on
  Android Studio and the source was now again on Ubuntu (note that this
  is not an option available in the dropdown). I checked the details and
  indeed it's the snap package from channel latest/stable, just the
  source is somehow misleading. Now it installed the software without
  issues.

  What doesn't work:
  - Source dropdown (top-right) shows "Ubuntu" instead of the snap channel
  - Selecting a channel breaks the install functionality for classic snaps (it
seems like it attempts to install them without --classic)

  Workaround:
  Do not select any channel, just use what is provided, and it works. If
needing to use a different channel, use the command line (or perhaps check if
this works in the Snap Store, if it has not the same issue).

  Package: gnome-software 3.36.0-0ubuntu3
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME
  Date: Tue May  5 11:09:26 2020
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS "Focal Fossa" - Beta amd64 (20200401)
  InstalledPlugins:
   gnome-software-plugin-flatpak 3.36.0-0ubuntu3
   gnome-software-plugin-snap    3.36.0-0ubuntu3
  SourcePackage: gnome-software
  modified.conffile..etc.apport.crashdb.conf: [modified]
  mtime.conffile..etc.apport.crashdb.conf: 2020-05-04T10:26:46.106768