I also found out that there has been a pull request in the package
https://github.com/ubuntu/gnome-shell-extension-
appindicator/pull/231/files trying to fix this. That didn't work.

Related GitHub issue: https://github.com/ubuntu/gnome-shell-extension-
appindicator/issues/235

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-shell-extension-appindicator in
Ubuntu.

  Nextcloud client app indicator icon not visible in 19.10 Eoan Beta

Status in gnome-shell-extension-appindicator package in Ubuntu:

  When running the Nextcloud Client (flatpak or PPA) in Eoan Beta, its
  app indicator icon is never displayed in the notification area. Other
  apps sch as Steam and Skype have their indicator icons displayed fine.

  Output from the command line when running the flatpak produces the
  following error:

  Qt: Session management error: None of the authentication protocols
  specified are supported

  I can duplicate this issue 100% of the time.

  Package: gnome-shell-extension-appindicator 30-1
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sun Oct  6 13:35:44 2019
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 19.04 "Disco Dingo" - Release amd64 (20190416)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: gnome-shell-extension-appindicator
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to eoan on 2019-09-27 (8 days ago)