Someone told me that the output from journalctl would be useful. I reduced the ginormous output to the stuff from 19 Dec. When it starts (Dec 19 19:37:20), things were still broken. Non sure at what time I got it working, but at some point I did the steps listed in my second post and it was working again.
** Attachment added: "output from journaclt" https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager-openvpn/+bug/1899410/+attachment/5445997/+files/jctlOutput3.txt -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop Packages, which is subscribed to network-manager-openvpn in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1899410 Title: VPN Stopped working after installing Ubuntu patch Status in network-manager-openvpn package in Ubuntu: Confirmed Bug description: My Surfshark VPN stopped working after installing Ubuntu software updates. I have Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS I received a pop-up on around Sept. 24 or 25 to install updates and did so accordingly. Since installing that set of updates I cannot connect to a VPN on this computer. Using Surfshark. I enter ... sudo surfshark-vpn I get ... Checking for connection status... Not connected to Surfshark VPN Was unable to connect to VPN server. Please try another server. I also have Protonmail VPN as a backup. When I try that with ... sudo protonvpn connect I get ... Connecting to JP-FREE#2 via UDP... [!] There was an error connecting to the ProtonVPN API. [!] Please make sure your connection is working properly! I have another Ubuntu computer on the same home network. It is running 18.04 LTS. Both Surfshark and Proton VPN work on that laptop. I also have a work computer running Win7 and the Big-IP Edge VPN. That also works without issues. Therefore, I know it's not my Router or ISP. To manage notifications about this bug go to: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager-openvpn/+bug/1899410/+subscriptions -- Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages Post to : [email protected] Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

