I believe I found the relevant Chromium bug!

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1125020

On a different system I have been trying to fix my webapps (I have not
found a way to make webapps open in separate taskbar icons in Ubuntu
Groovy), and was digging through Chromium bug reports.

I went to chrome://flags/ and found

chrome://flags/#enable-desktop-pwas-migration-user-display-mode-clean-up

which specifically mentions https://crbug.com/1125020  which resolves to
the link at the top.

This sounds similar to what I was experiencing that broke the windowing of
webapps after a software upgrade, and it's also just about the right timeframe.

I'm not on the same system and may not be able to test that one but I
turned on the flag and fortunately it didn't break anything.
Unfortunately it hasn't fixed my other bug.

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  web apps no longer launch into separate windows

Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:

  Chromium-browser updated on my system yesterday and today I noticed
  that unlike the previous version (84.0.4147.105-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) when
  I click my "favorite" shortcuts for Google Messages, Google Contacts,
  Google Calendar, and a website for a local radio station, the "app"
  shortcuts no longer create separate independent windows, but instead
  open a new tab in a Chromium browser window.

  Strangely enough, the web app shortcut for GMail still opens correctly
  in a separate browser window.

  As I mentioned, this seems to be a regression from version
  84.0.4147.105-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 which got installed on my system
  yesterday.

  I am concerned because broken webapps is one of several features I will miss
when I must upgrade this system from bionic.

  (I have another system running 20.04 and of course the snap version of
  Chromium does not do web apps reliably nor does the snap version work
  with the KeePassXC plugin.)

  Just in case this is just an incompatibility with existing shortcuts,
  I just created a NEW shortcut for the radio station web site and the
  new shortcut exhibits the same behavior.

  Package: chromium-browser 85.0.4183.83-0ubuntu0.18.04.2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.4.0-47.51~18.04.1-generic 5.4.55
  Uname: Linux 5.4.0-47-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.17
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Thu Sep 10 14:10:26 2020
  DetectedPlugins:

  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20200203.1)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: chromium-browser
  modified.conffile..etc.default.chromium-browser: [deleted]