Thank you for your bug report, that's known upstream

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-control-center/-/issues/936

** Bug watch added: gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-control-center/-/issues #936
   https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-control-center/-/issues/936

** Changed in: gnome-control-center (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: gnome-control-center (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: pulseaudio (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: pulseaudio (Ubuntu)

  sound hdmi 5.1 subwoofer always disabled

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  In System Sound Settings, I chose HDMI 5.1 audio, but there is no
  sound from my subwoofer in any audio application.

  The System Sound Settings for HDMI 5.1 always shows a disabled
  subwoofer slider. When I open the test window and hit the subwoofer
  icon button, no sound is produced.

  But if I open Pulse Audio Volume Control -> Output Devices -> (unlock icon),
all show mid-volume on the slider except for subwoffer.  But the subwoofer
slider is enabled.  So I slide it to mid-volume, and go back to System Sound
Settings -> test window and hit the subwoofer icon button, I hear my subwoofer
is working fine.

  I also then hear the subwoofer in all audio applications.

  If I were to touch the System Sound Slider for the subwoofer, it
  immediately stops working again.

  I can fix it again in Pulse Audio Volumne Control again.

  Package: gnome-control-center 1:3.36.4-0ubuntu2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.8.0-43.49~20.04.1-generic 5.8.18
  Uname: Linux 5.8.0-43-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.16
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip