> It now times out after one second.

I am not seeing this timeout on Firefox 85.0.1 in Fedora 33.  Maybe you
need to raise a new bug report with the details of your platform and
version?

  [firefox] tooltips disappear too fast

Status in Mozilla Firefox:
  Fix Released
Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in firefox-3.0 package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: firefox

  Go to (for instance) http://xkcd.org/311/ and place the mouse over the
  image. A three-lines tooltip appears, but after a few seconds it
  disappears; I cannot read it entirely. The tooltips should stay
  displayed longer, or not disappear at all.