No. It's not bug 1812883. I've actually described in detail what happens. The
desktop icons aren't flashing. They disappear and stay invisible until I
reactivate USB tethering. Let me describe the steps again:
Step 1. Desktop icons are visible.
Step 2. I connect my phone to the PC. Desktop icons are still visible. At this
point, there's a dialog box on the phone's screen, asking "Allow access to
phones data?". Options for me are to click "Allow" or "Deny".
Step 3. Whether I click Allow or Deny, the Desktop icons disappear.
Step 4. I activate USB tethering, and the Desktop icons appear.
Step 5. I deactivate USB tethering, and the Desktop icons are still visible.
The phone is again asking the Allow/Deny question.
Step 6. Goto Step 3.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons in
Ubuntu.

  Desktop icons disappearing

Status in gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons package in Ubuntu:

  This is in Ubuntu 20.10 Groovy Gorilla.

  The bug:
  When connecting to USB tethering and allowing access to the phone's
filesystem, Ubuntu's Desktop icons disappear.

  Steps to reproduce:
  Connect a phone to the computer via USB tethering (am a bit uneasy about
mentioning which model phone it is). Switch on USB tethering and then switch
off USB tethering in the phone's Mobile hotspot and tethering options. The
phones screen will popup a dialog box asking "Allow access to phone data?"
(which is a way to give the computer access to the phone's filesystem). You can
click either "Allow" or "Deny". When either "Allow" or "Deny" is selected, the
Desktop icons on Ubuntu disappear. When USB tethering is switched back on, the
Desktop icons reappear.

  I've attached a video of the phenomenon. The video starts with USB
  tethering being switched on, which is why you can see the desktop
  icons. Then when USB tethering is switched off and "Allow" is clicked
  on the phone, the icons disappear and then they reappear when USB
  tethering is switched on again.

  This bug is probably related to bugs #1928206 and #1928213, which
  indicate that there are some inconsistencies with how the Nautilus
  Desktop works with respect to a Nautilus window.