I have this problem as well, and it just started tonight (2021-05-25) on
my xubuntu 20.04 system.  I have another xubuntu 20.04 machine on which
the problem does not occur.  So, this may be transient, or mostly
unrelated to eog.

Packages, which is subscribed to eog in Ubuntu.

  eog fails to open png: Failed to register: Timeout was reached

Status in eog package in Ubuntu:

  eog fails to open PNG file.  After about 25 seconds, it gives up and
  says:

  Failed to register: Timeout was reached

  You can find the relevant image at:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/psrm3wj1n480ocx/FIDUCEO_FCDR_L1C_HIRS2_noaa14_20000101144729_20000101162929_easy_v0.7_fv0.4.png?dl=0

  Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS, GNOME Image Viewer 3.18.2.

  I expect it to display the image.  Instead it fails with the above
  message.

  Image Magicks "display" utility shows the image fine.