I was able to reproduce the bug again, this time with 4 blank text
files.

As soon as I click rename button, nautilus freezes and stops responding
but other applications continue to work. After a minute or so, other
applications too freeze including the clock. Mouse pointer moves but not
smoothly. Mouse clicks don't work, system fans are in full speed and HDD
activity LED is on.

The only way to get system work again was hard reboot.

  System freeze on bulk rename

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu 20.04
  Nautilus 1:3.36.3-0ubuntu1

  Bug:
  I have 8 files named as file-1.jpg, file-2.jpg, ... file-8.jpg
  When I select them all and rename using template as 'file-[1, 2, 3]' in
descending order, the system freezes. Perhaps because the files already exist
with same name?

  I was expecting the files to be renamed in descending series -
  file-1.jpg as file-8.jpg, file-2.jpg as file-7.jpg and so on..

  Package: nautilus 1:3.36.3-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.8.0-53.60~20.04.1-generic 5.8.18
  Uname: Linux 5.8.0-53-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.17
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Wed May 19 00:44:49 2021
  GsettingsChanges:
   b'org.gnome.nautilus.window-state' b'sidebar-width' b'161'
   b'org.gnome.nautilus.window-state' b'initial-size' b'(891, 546)'
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS "Focal Fossa" - Release amd64 (20200423)
  SourcePackage: nautilus
  usr_lib_nautilus: