Judging by your screenshot, this is a bug in Ubuntu Dock. It has nothing
to do with GDM at all.

Also if you'd like to discuss Thunderbird then please open a separate
new bug.

** Package changed: gdm3 (Ubuntu) => gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock (Ubuntu)

** Summary changed:

- gdm "New Window" popup won't go away
+ Ubuntu Dock popup menu won't go away

** Description changed:

  Every so often, typically when I'm using Thunderbird, I attempt to use
- GDM to create a new window or something like that, and the "New Window"
- popup comes up, but does not work. Attempts to click on it have no
- effect. I cannot make the popup go away, other than by logging out and
- logging back in again (or rebooting).
+ the dock context menu to create a new window or something like that, and
+ the "New Window" popup comes up, but does not work. Attempts to click on
+ it have no effect. I cannot make the popup go away, other than by
+ logging out and logging back in again (or rebooting).

  I did not observe this problem until I installed Ubuntu 21.04, so I
  expect it's a glitch that is new to this release.

  See attached screenshot for an example of the popup that won't go away.

  Package: gdm3 3.38.2.1-2ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu65.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Wed Jun 30 10:57:22 2021
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20180725)
  SourcePackage: gdm3
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to hirsute on 2021-06-03 (26 days ago)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock in
Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu Dock popup menu won't go away

Status in gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock package in Ubuntu: