Note: this happens when I don't have the "Ubuntu Dock" and "Ubuntu
AppIndicator" extensions enabled. I reenabled both and now it seems to
work again.

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Clicking on a link in a message does not switch the window to the
  browser

Status in thunderbird package in Ubuntu:

  When I click on a link (http or https) in a Thunderbird message, the
  link gets opened in the browser (in my case google-chrome) but the
  window (google-chrome) is not focused. So I stay in thunderbird and I
  need to press 2x! ALT+Tab to get to the google-chrome window.

  Package: thunderbird 1:78.13.0+build1-0ubuntu2
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair
  BuildID: 20210802223056
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Fri Sep 10 09:29:46 2021
  DefaultProfileExtensions: extensions.sqlite corrupt or missing
  DefaultProfileIncompatibleExtensions: Unavailable (corrupt or non-existant
compatibility.ini or extensions.sqlite)
  DefaultProfileLocales: extensions.sqlite corrupt or missing
  DefaultProfilePrefErrors: Unexpected character ',' before close parenthesis @
/usr/lib/thunderbird/omni.ja:greprefs.js:732
  DefaultProfileThemes: extensions.sqlite corrupt or missing
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 20.10 "Groovy Gorilla" - Release amd64 (20201022)
  Profiles:
   Profile1 (Default) - LastVersion=None/None (Out of date)
   Profile0 - LastVersion=78.13.0/20210802223056 (In use)
  SourcePackage: thunderbird
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to impish on 2021-08-17 (23 days ago)