I've this issue too. What else do you need than @Mario's journal?

** Changed in: gdm3 (Ubuntu)

** Also affects: gdm3 (Ubuntu Impish)

Packages, which is subscribed to gdm3 in Ubuntu.

  Logs in with Wayland although Xorg looks selected in session menu.
  Need to reselect

Status in gdm3 package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in gdm3 source package in Impish:

  After upgrade to Impish.

  1. Log in with Xorg session
  2. Log out
  3. Check gdm session menu > Xorg is displayed as selected
  4. Log in > Wayland is running
  5. Log out
  6. Check gdm session menu > Xorg is displayed as selected
  7. Choose Xorg again anyway
  9. Success. Xorg is running

  Reproduces every time for me. Despite Xorg always showing as selected,
  it uses Wayland unless I click the Xorg session again

  Package: gdm3 41~rc-0ubuntu1
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME