I was getting poor latency on my system with an "Intel Corporation
Wireless 8265 / 8275" adapter because Geoclue was initiating scans
nearly continuously. This is caused by a bug which was fixed in a
Geoclue 2.5.7:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/geoclue/geoclue/-/commit/7b52291b6e45fbb93604b838a0ba02fbbde7cd39

Ubuntu 20.04 is still affected because the latest available version is
2.5.6.

Packages, which is subscribed to geoclue-2.0 in Ubuntu.

  geoclue polls wpasupplicant SSID list too often, resulting in lag and
  packet loss

Status in geoclue-2.0 package in Ubuntu:

  Steps to reproduce:

  1. Install GNOME Weather, or GNOME Clocks, or basically anything that
determines your location
  2. In GNOME Control Center > Privacy, enable Location Services (note that I
am unsure about this part; it may not even be necessary)
  3. Open the application requesting your location
  4. Do something latency-sensitive on WiFi, like SSH or ping

  Hypothesis:

  When an application requesting your location is running in the
  background and location services are enabled, it seems to tell geoclue
  to use NetworkManager's D-Bus API for letting wpasupplicant scan for
  surrounding networks very often. This causes lots of latency spikes
  and visible lag.

  Typing characters in an SSH session is rather laggy, and running
  something as simple as mtr 192.168.1.1 will show that every ~20
  seconds the latency is over 100ms and packet loss occurs, while it's
  normally around 1.5ms with no packet loss. There are probably lots of
  other issues caused by this as well.

  When a WiFi adapter scans for SSID's, it has to switch channels,
  delaying or dropping traffic in the meanwhile. This is what causes the
  lag and packet loss.

  On phones connected to LTE this may make sense, but on a laptop which
  uses WiFi as its active network, this is detrimental to the
  connection.

  Changing /etc/geoclue/geoclue.conf to disable WiFi scanning, solves
  this problem:

  [wifi]
  enable=false

  On Ubuntu 18.04, this setting was the default. On Ubuntu 20.04, it has
  changed to 'true'.

  Expected behaviour:

  Don't break WiFi for a location scan.

  $ lsb_release -rd