Thanks for the bug report.

First please look in $HOME/.local/share/gnome-shell and ensure there is
no directory named 'extensions'. If there is one then remove it and log
in again.

Similarly please open the 'Extensions' app and ensure you only find the
three Ubuntu extensions listed.

** Tags added: gnome-shell-leak

** Changed in: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

  gnome-shell leaks mem, 1.3G reserved after few days of uptime

  gnome-shell leaks memory like crazy. after 4 days of uptime it uses
  13.8G virt and 1.3G reserved mem. This is after I switched to wayland
  to mitigate the same issue, but on X.org it was much more crazier -
  about 20G virt / 1.5G reserved after one-two days of uptime, only the
  leak was in X.org process (2 of them, greeter and main), not gnome-
  shell.

  p.s. I do understand that gnome is the best piece of software, and I just use
it incorrectly - likely I have some extension or application that is at fault.
The bug report is sort of rhetorical.

  p.p.s. Unmodified LTS system (focal). Started to manifest about a
  month ago, out of the blue, no changes...

  Package: gnome-shell 3.36.9-0ubuntu0.20.04.2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.11.0-38.42~20.04.1-generic 5.11.22
  Uname: Linux 5.11.0-38-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.21
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME-Classic:GNOME