I logged out immediately after logging in again as described above, then
went to log in again and checked the options menu, and it correctly had
"Ubuntu on Xorg" selected as my session type, but when I finished
logging in I was in a Wayland session, not an Xorg session. So for some
reason my selection of Xorg as my desired session is being ignored?

  Jammy, attempt to log into Xorg session, "Oh no! Something has gone
  wrong."

  On Jammy, I log out of a Wayland session, click my name on the login
  screen, go down to the options menu and select Ubuntu on Xorg, enter
  my password, get "Oh no! Something has gone wrong. A probleme has
  occurred and the system can't recover. Please log out and try again.
  [Log Out]" I click the log out button and log in again, and I'm logged
  into a Wayland session. Why was I logged into a Wayland session when I
  selected Xorg the last time I tried to log in?

  This issue is intermittent I had been able to log into an Xorg session
  just a few minutes prior.

  Package: gnome-shell 40.5-1ubuntu2
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sun Nov 28 11:10:10 2021
  DisplayManager: gdm3
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 19.04 "Disco Dingo" - Release amd64 (20190416)
  RelatedPackageVersions: mutter-common 40.5-1ubuntu3
  SourcePackage: gnome-shell
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to jammy on 2021-11-09 (19 days ago)
  modified.conffile..etc.apport.crashdb.conf: [modified]
  mtime.conffile..etc.apport.crashdb.conf: 2021-10-16T09:30:38.992726