tags:   added: impish

** Tags added: impish

  Ubuntu 20.04 gnome-shell places windows on second screen when started
  from primary screen

Status in GNOME Shell:
  Unknown
Status in Mutter:
  Unknown
Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

  gnome-shell:
    Geïnstalleerd: 3.36.3-1ubuntu1~20.04.2

  What I expected to happen:
  When clicking a button on the primary screen to open a new window in any
application, that window should always open on the same monitor.

  What happened instead:
  Gnome-shell in Ubuntu 20.04 insists on placing new windows on the secondary
monitor.

  Why this is a problem:
  My setup are Point of Sale terminals and the primary (a touchscreen) and
secondary monitors are back to back. When the cashier presses the payment type
button, the payment type pop-up is opening on the secondary screen which is
displayed to the customer and not accessible to the cashier who needs to
complete the transaction. The cashier can't move the pop-up on their own as
there is no keyboard access (all buttons needed are in the application it
self), and the touchscreen touches on itself (most of the time).

  In the past I was able to fix this with devilspie. As this problem has been
around since Ubuntu 10.04. Was fine in Unity and 16.04/18.04 gnome-shell.
   But now devilspie is ignored by gnome-shell in 20.04 and gnome-shell keeps
opening all the windows on the secondary screen.

  I've tried various gnome extensions and gnome-tweaks but none of them
  will open all windows (except the customer display) on the primary
  monitor only.

  Package: gnome-shell 3.36.3-1ubuntu1~20.04.2
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.4
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME