Hey Łukasz! Thanks for accepting it!
impish has a version of adsys. This is an entreprise feature and I doubt we
have users there, as by default, this is hilighted for LTSes only.
Functionality-wise, as there is no ubuntu-advantage-desktop-daemon, this is
equivalent to the version already present there (apart from one bug fix).

We can prepare the SRU if you feel this is a deal-breaker, but I think
this is more for paperwork than having a real rationale. What’s your
opinion on this?

Packages, which is subscribed to adsys in Ubuntu.

  [SRU] Backport to 20.04 LTS

Status in adsys package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in golang-1.16 package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in adsys source package in Focal:
  Fix Committed
Status in golang-1.16 source package in Focal:

  As part of our entreprise desktop offering, there is the request to backport
ADSys to 20.04 LTS.
  The package is in universe for now.

  ADSys is our Active Directory GPO integration. It’s available starting
  Ubuntu 21.04.

  [Impact]

   * ADSys is a new package. Impacts is thus only for people installing.
   * It depends on a recent Golang (1.16). We thus needs to backport this
package from Ubuntu 21.04/21.10 (1.16.2-0ubuntu1 at the time of this writing)
by introducing a versioned separate package (each Go version is a separate
package already in the distribution). It is similar to what has been done for
snaps in previous LTS.
   * This is a entreprise feature requested by desktop customers running LTS.

  [Test Plan for Golang 1.16]

   1. Ensure Golang 1.16 is published in -proposed
   2. Start a build with a package, requiring Golang 1.16 (dependency + PATH
set to Golang 1.16 go binary).
   3. Ensure the package builds successfully.
   4. Run go version <your binary> which should display: "go1.16.x" (x being
the version uploaded).

  [Test Plan for ADSys]

   1. Configure your machine with AD, with a correctly configured SSSD and KRB5
(AD user should be able to log in). Instructions can be found on
https://github.com/ubuntu/adsys/wiki/2.-Prerequisites
   2. Install admx and adml files on your AD controller:
https://github.com/ubuntu/adsys/wiki/3.-AD-Setup
   3. Configure some values in AD
(https://github.com/ubuntu/adsys/wiki/4.-Using-GPO), for instance:
    * GDM login screen background
    * User favorites apps
   4. Install ADSys, reboot the machine and login in as an AD user
   5. Ensure both GDM background and user favorites apps follows what you set
in AD

  [Where problems could occur]

  For Go 1.16:

   * Package depending on this Go version would not be able to compile.
   * As this is a separate, versionned, new package, no impact on existing ones.
   * FYI, we already built ADSys against this Go version in our ppa:
https://launchpad.net/~didrocks/+archive/ubuntu/adsys

  For ADSys:

   * Machine will fail booting if ADSys can’t connect to AD on first boot.
   * AD User will fail logging if ADSys can’t connect to AD on first boot.
   * As this is a separate, versionned, new package, no impact on existing
installations.

  [Other Info]

   * ADSys (built against Go 1.16 in the same PPA) is battle-tested from our
PPA.
   * We will first upload Go 1.16 and let it migrate before uploading ADSys
itself.
   * Of course, ADSys new version (the one we will backport) will be first
uploaded in Impish.