I use Wayland, GNOME session.
The key, after having selected any of the combination icons (external,
internal, clone, join), returns my first display to be cloned on my monitor. No
other possibility.

I get absolutely nothing in logs.

  [GS 42] display switching key does not work

  Hi,

  Using GS 42 in Jammy, when I press the display switch key of my laptop
keyboard, I get the usual pop-up but the selected item is not applied.
  I have to use gnome-control-center to configure my displays. (gcc is slow to
start these days?)