Please try logging into 'Ubuntu on Xorg' and tell us if the same bug
occurs. I'm reminded of bug 1960747.

Please also run:

  journalctl -b0 > journal.txt

and attach the resulting text file here.

** Changed in: mutter (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to mutter in Ubuntu.

  Autorotate initiates, but doesn't reset

Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:

  In jammy I can get mutter's auto-rotate to switch to portrait mode
  ("right-up") by rotating the device (this only worked in impish if I
  installed the autorotate gnome-shell extension).

  However, putting it back into "normal" orientation doesn't put the
  screen back in landscape mode.  Flipping it around ("left-up") does
  swap to the reverse portrait mode, but still can't get back to
  "normal" afterward.

  running `monitor-sensor` does show the accelerometer orientation
  change events (including the "normal" ones) triggering properly, just
  the desktop doesn't respond.

  Plugging in an external monitor does seem to trigger the desktop to go
  back to normal landscape mode.

  Package: mutter 42~beta-1ubuntu2
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME