This model is recognized by libsane1 in all supported versions of
Ubuntu.

** Changed in: sane-backends (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to sane-backends in Ubuntu.

  Sane does not recognize Epson Corp. CX9400Fax out of the box

Status in sane-backends package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  This hardware is not recognized when using xsane. I tried adding "usb
  0x04b8 0x083a" to /etc/sane.d/epson.conf

  I was able to get xsane up with the canner name in its options, when
  attempting to acquire preview or scan I get the following error:

  I get the error: Failed to star scanner: operation not supported.

  sane-find-scanner -q finds the scanner: found USB scanner
  (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x083a) at libusb:001:005

  Hardware: ID 04b8:083a Seiko Epson Corp. CX9300F/CX9400Fax/DX9400F

  ii  sane-utils                1.0.19-23ubuntu7          API library for
scanners -- utilities
  ii  xsane                     0.996-1ubuntu2            featureful graphical
frontend for SANE (Scanner Access Now Easy)

  Distributor ID:       Ubuntu
  Release:      9.04
  Codename:     jaunty