I have a similar issue (let me know if I should open a new bug):
launching firefox for the first time (ie. while it's not running) works
fine.  But, once it's running, any further invocation of firefox fails
with the "Firefox is already running..." dialog - for example, clicking
on a url in a terminal, or running `firefox https://example.com`.

  firefox snap cannot be started: firefox already running

Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  On my lapttop version 747 of the Firefox app is installed.

  Whenever I try to launch /snap/bin/firefox I get a popup that Firefox
  is already running.

  ps -aux does not show any such process.
  Rebooting and deleting lock files in ~/.mozilla does not solve the problem.

  Best regards

  Heinrich