Well I tried doing all that with disabling the icons.

It does remove the icons, but the background is still overlaid with
opaque black.

It didn't do anything immediately but it did after I logged in - just
removed the icons. The directory ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions
wasn't there. Mind you it isn't there on a "virgninal" laptop which I
haven't done any such fiddling on.

How do I get the icons back though? gseettings reset org. (etc etc) runs
OK logged out and back in but no sign of them..... Just empty
blackness...

HOWEVER doing that did solve the mystery of the jpg file. Yonks ago I
had tried to set that file as a background to the login screen but it
didn't work and I gave up, thinking that the instructions on Ubuntu help
weren't working but it was ultra-cosmetic and I didn't bother (I leave
my machine running and logged in 24/7 and without screen lock - which
incidentally is working OK and safe as only myself and GF can get to
it).

But doing all that setting that file to be world-readable made it pop up
as the background to the login screen. (Such a beautiful picture,
sunrise over a sea port, just struck lucky in the early morning. Totally
irrelevant but I'll post if if people want to see it.)

It's clearly some weird opacity in the desktop display because if I
click "Activities" or press the Windows button I can see my background
image appearing hazily with a black mist and reduced-sized windows over
it as well as the desktop selection list again showing the background
image. But if I select a desktop, the background picture flashes up for
a second and then goes black apart from the "sliver" at the bottom.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop
Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons in
Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1970141

Title:
  [nvidia] Desktop icons desktop is black

Status in gnome-shell package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete

Bug description:
  Hi I'm running Ubuntu 20.4 with the Apr 20 updates applied.

  gnome-session:
    Installed: (none)
    Candidate: 3.36.0-2ubuntu1
    Version table:
       3.36.0-2ubuntu1 500
          500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/universe amd64 Packages
          500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/universe i386 Packages
  gnome-shell:
    Installed: 3.36.9-0ubuntu0.20.04.2
    Candidate: 3.36.9-0ubuntu0.20.04.2
    Version table:
   *** 3.36.9-0ubuntu0.20.04.2 500
          500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates/main amd64 
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       3.36.4-1ubuntu1~20.04.2 500
          500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-security/main amd64 
Packages
       3.36.1-5ubuntu1 500
          500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/main amd64 Packages

  I accept that this is "cosmetic" but it's still annoying.

  I have two large monitors attached which I run as a large single
  workspace across both screens.

  I have been running this for years without problem over several Ubuntu
  releases.

  Following the recent upgrade (Apr 20 2022), my desktop wallpaper is no
  longer displayed properly.

  Almost all of it is covered in solid black except for a very small
  sliver of the wallpaper at the bottom of each screen.

  If I change the desktop background there is no effect (except for the
  small sliver at the bottom of the screen) changes.

  If I reboot, or if I log in as a different user, there is no change.

  If I click "Activities" or press the Windows button, the menu of
  desktops I can switch to is displayed with the correct wallpaper, but
  when I switch to it it comes out all black on both screens (apart from
  the icons, any windows and the sliver at the bottom of the screen).

  I have 2 different laptops which I have upgraded also but those are
  OK. I've not tried any dual-screen on them.

  Possibly relevant is that I have an nVidia display controller.

  It does appear to be a problem that has crept in with the most recent
  update.

  Everything else I do is unaffected as far as I can see but I'd just
  like something different from the boring solid black.

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 20.04
  Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core 1:20.04.37
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.13.0-40.45~20.04.1-generic 5.13.19
  Uname: Linux 5.13.0-40-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.23
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CrashDB: ubuntu
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sun Apr 24 22:47:59 2022
  InstallationDate: Installed on 2020-10-10 (561 days ago)
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS "Focal Fossa" - Release amd64 (20200731)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
  Symptom: dist-upgrade
  UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
  modified.conffile..etc.default.apport: [modified]
  mtime.conffile..etc.default.apport: 2020-10-10T15:40:13.152625

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell/+bug/1970141/+subscriptions


-- 
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
Post to     : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Reply via email to