I've created another user with no applications running at all and still
have the desktop covered in black.

I have tried running xwininfo and get the display I attach.

** Attachment added: "xwininfo display"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell/+bug/1970141/+attachment/5584749/+files/Screenshot%20from%202022-04-28%2021-02-43.png

  Desktop is mostly covered by a black rectangle

  Hi I'm running Ubuntu 20.4 with the Apr 20 updates applied.

  gnome-session:
    Installed: (none)
    Candidate: 3.36.0-2ubuntu1
    Version table:
       3.36.0-2ubuntu1 500
          500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/universe amd64 Packages
          500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/universe i386 Packages
  gnome-shell:
    Installed: 3.36.9-0ubuntu0.20.04.2
    Candidate: 3.36.9-0ubuntu0.20.04.2
    Version table:
   *** 3.36.9-0ubuntu0.20.04.2 500
          500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates/main amd64
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       3.36.4-1ubuntu1~20.04.2 500
          500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-security/main amd64
Packages
       3.36.1-5ubuntu1 500
          500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/main amd64 Packages

  I accept that this is "cosmetic" but it's still annoying.

  I have two large monitors attached which I run as a large single
  workspace across both screens.

  I have been running this for years without problem over several Ubuntu
  releases.

  Following the recent upgrade (Apr 20 2022), my desktop wallpaper is no
  longer displayed properly.

  Almost all of it is covered in solid black except for a very small
  sliver of the wallpaper at the bottom of each screen.

  If I change the desktop background there is no effect (except for the
  small sliver at the bottom of the screen) changes.

  If I reboot, or if I log in as a different user, there is no change.

  If I click "Activities" or press the Windows button, the menu of
  desktops I can switch to is displayed with the correct wallpaper, but
  when I switch to it it comes out all black on both screens (apart from
  the icons, any windows and the sliver at the bottom of the screen).

  I have 2 different laptops which I have upgraded also but those are
  OK. I've not tried any dual-screen on them.

  Possibly relevant is that I have an nVidia display controller.

  It does appear to be a problem that has crept in with the most recent
  update.

  Everything else I do is unaffected as far as I can see but I'd just
  like something different from the boring solid black.

  Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core 1:20.04.37
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.13.0-40.45~20.04.1-generic 5.13.19
  Uname: Linux 5.13.0-40-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.23
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CrashDB: ubuntu
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sun Apr 24 22:47:59 2022
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS "Focal Fossa" - Release amd64 (20200731)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
  Symptom: dist-upgrade
  modified.conffile..etc.default.apport: [modified]
  mtime.conffile..etc.default.apport: 2020-10-10T15:40:13.152625