** Changed in: gnome-session (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-session in Ubuntu.

  Have ubuntu-desktop-minimal depend on xdg-desktop-portal-gnome

Status in gnome-session package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed
Status in gnome-session source package in Jammy:

  Impact
  ------
  Because ubuntu-desktop-minimal only recommends xdg-desktop-portal-gnome, it
is easy for users to accidentally not have it installed. If it (Or another
desktop portal backend are not installed), it breaks critical functionality for
both the Firefox snap and Chromium snaps. It also breaks countless other snaps.

  Test Case
  ---------
  ubuntu-session and gnome-session should depend on xdg-desktop-portal-gnome

  It should be possible to uninstall xdg-desktop-portal-gnome and keep
  xdg-desktop-portal-gtk. (This allows someone to keep using GTK3 and
  avoid the libadwaita dialogs which may be easier for third party
  themes.)

  What Could Go Wrong
  -------------------
  This just adds an additional dependency.

  I believe the portal backends currently open by default in the locale
  sort order, so xdg-desktop-portal-gnome is preferred if installed,
  then xdg-desktop-portal-gtk, then xdg-desktop-portal-kde, then xdg-
  desktop-portal-wlr. Which coincidentally is the order we would want.

  How This Was Fixed
  ------------------
  ubuntu-desktop-minimal is a special germinate package and doesn't accept
alternate dependencies. An alternate dependency is needed because we want to
allow people to use a different portal backend and the easiest way to use a
different portal backend is to install the backend you want and uninstall the
ones you don't want.

  Therefore, we are handling this with a dependency in ubuntu-session.
  We are also doing this with gnome-session since that's a popular
  alternative for people who want a vanilla GNOME experience.

  Original Bug Report
  With ubuntu 22.04 firefox comes as snap package by default.

  it is not possible to open any file dialog. save graphics as, save
  html page, import certificate never opens a file dialog.

  firefox is completly useless without that file dialog.

  (the root case is ubuntu uses snap)

  further: in snap store firefox has no icon and it's called firefox not
  "Firefox".