This also affects me, but I believe the bug is not in nvidia, becase it
happens in my Atom netbook.

Packages, which is subscribed to jockey in Ubuntu.

  Error "ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode" directly after
  installation

Status in “jockey” package in Ubuntu:

  I installed Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop on my Dell XPS 1330 (Nvidia 8400M
  GS). The Live CD session works great and installation was no problem.
  But after the first reboot I get the error message: "ubuntu is running
  in low-graphics mode".

  On the terminal I tried to install manually:
  nvidia-173 nvidia-173-updates
  or
  nvidia-current nvidia-current-updates

  But non of the two packages resolves my problem. So i tried to install the
nvidia driver with "jockey-text".
  $ jockey-text -c
  $ jockey-text -u
  $ jockey-text -a
  $ jockey-text -C
  Additional Drivers
  Downloading and installing driver...

  Sorry, installation of this driver failed.

  Please have a look at the log file for details: /var/log/jockey.log
  $

  For me it's not important to install the proprietary Nvidia driver. I just
would like to use the system. If possible with the nouveau or with the nvidia
driver

  Package: jockey-common 0.9.6-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-7.13-generic-pae 3.2.0-rc7
  Uname: Linux 3.2.0-7-generic-pae i686
  ApportVersion: 1.90-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: i386