Sounds like bug 1926809.

** Tags added: dock i915 multimonitor

  Gnome shell freezes when plugging in external display

  I have a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga with Ubuntu 22.04 and a dock for it.
  If the laptop is in the dock and I plug a monitor into the display
  port gnome shell freezes. When this happens I can still go to other
  ttys. This exact setup used to work for Ubuntu 20.04 so I assume it
  must be connected to wayland somehow.

  lsb_release -rd
  Release:      22.04

  apt-cache policy gnome-shell