Created attachment 9275655
firefox100_crash.log

Hello. Just to add in that this issue at least for my setup (Arch Linux,
Firefox 100) is still current.

The previous comment suggest the problem might lie with the decoder but
no other software on my machine has problem decoding through vaapi at
the moment and the problems began right when RDD sandboxing was made
default.

Firefox regularly fails and generate loads of crash log on my system
each time it comes across a video since ~v98/99. The videos often crash,
try to revert to low quality. It's particularly evident on sites like
IMGUR. This was working fine before (and it took a long time to get it
working) yet it was broken since 2 releases ago and is still in this
state... It's quite sad Linux users are the second-class citizens on
these features all over again.

---

Version: Firefox 100
OS: Arch Linux
FFMPEG: 5.0-7
vainfo: VA-API version: 1.14 (libva 2.14.0)

---
MOZ_DISABLE_RDD_SANDBOX=1 does not stop this failure on my machine.
Nor does MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 individually, or combined.

---
Cf. Logs.

  [upstream] RDD sandbox prevents HW-accelerated video playback

Status in Mozilla Firefox:
  Confirmed
Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:

  • Ubuntu 21.10 (64 bit)
  • Firefox 98 installed via apt (cookies & cache have been cleared)
  • Kernel 5.13.0-30-generic x86_64
  • Tried on both wayland and X11 session → same result

  Steps to reproduce:
  (1) Visit https://www.youtube.com
  (2) Choose one of the video

  Actual Result:  Video doesn't play

  What Expected:  Video Play normally

  Previously it was normal on Firefox 97 (apt version)

  Tried installing Firefox 98 Snap version and it works normally