Once I turn the firewall off, the autodiscovery starts working (without
any changes to /etc/sane.d/epson2.conf):

# service ufw stop
# scanimage -L
device `epson2:net:192.168.8.8' is a Epson PID 085E flatbed scanner

If I reload the firewall rules, the autodiscovery stops working again.

This is probably the only relevant difference between my Ubuntu 21.10
and my Ubuntu 22.04 installations.

Perhaps the stock firewall rules should be amended to make them
autodiscovery-friendly.

Packages, which is subscribed to sane-backends in Ubuntu.

  Sane net autodiscovery not working in 22.04

Status in sane-backends package in Ubuntu:

  I have used every Ubuntu version since 16.10 and on all of them my
  network scanner EPSON SX525WD could be discovered out of the box.

  On 22.04 the output of 'scanimage -L' is:

  To double-check if something hadn't changed in my network, I opened a laptop
which still has Ubuntu 21.10 installed. I ran 'scanimage -L' and it shows:

  device `epson2:net:192.168.8.8' is a Epson PID 085E flatbed scanner
  device `airscan:w0:EPSON Epson Stylus SX525WD' is a WSD EPSON Epson Stylus
SX525WD ip=192.168.8.8

  My current workaround for 22.04 is to append the line:
        net 192.168.8.8
  to /etc/sane.d/epson2.conf. The command 'scanimage -L' detects the scanner
(albeit no 'airscan' result shows up):

  device `epson2:net:192.168.8.8' is a Epson PID 085E flatbed scanner

  NOTE: I filled this bug under the 'sane-backends' package because this
  form gave this error: "sane-utils" does not exist in Ubuntu

  Package: sane-utils 1.1.1-5
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME