> It could be maybe added to NetworkManager, if somebody sends a
> patch. But it's not actually clear to me that this is really
> NetworkManager's task. Maybe it is, but what are the arguments for
> that?

I could be glib, and say "because the kernel says so [1]". However, I
suspect that's not a great reason :)

[1]:
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/Regulatory/CRDA#using_network_manager_to_change_regulatory_domains

A more complete argument would be: it appears that, where possible,
wifi region selection is handled automatically by interpreting
information from the AP's beacon. However, that appears to be sparsely
implemented (at best) and in the (extremely common) event that an AP
*doesn't* advertise its region, it's up to the user to manage this
themselves (where/when needed; as noted above, in 2.4GHz setups this
usually doesn't matter that much).

All the underlying pieces are in place for the user to do so. Nothing
is lacking in wpa-supplicant regarding this (iwd does lack a direct
option for the wifi region but it appears "use ieee80211_regdom or iw
to override the automatic selection" is the answer there), so it's
"simply" a matter of exposing this configuration via their preferred
UI.

Command line users already have the tools to do this (iw), although
they notably lack a persistence mechanism for now. But GUI users have
... nothing. No means of querying, adjusting, or persisting this
setting.

Why NetworkManager?

This setting could arguably go under "Language and Region". It is
quite literally a region setting after all. And I'm still of the
opinion that, at least initially, it should be set from the region
selection during first-time setup.

But consider the debugging scenario: I've travelled from the UK to
Germany and, in the place I'm working, I'm having trouble with wifi
connectivity or performance. What settings do I look at first? The
wifi settings, almost certainly. If I were to see that my wifi region
was "unset" or "UK" I'd likely adjust that to "DE" and see if that
fixes things.

To me at least, it does seem to make sense for this to go under the
wifi settings (which are presumably the purview of NetworkManager?).

  Need option to specify wifi regulatory domain

Status in cloud-init:
  Invalid
Status in netplan:
  New
Status in NetworkManager:
  Unknown
Status in netplan.io package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in netplan.io source package in Jammy:
  Triaged
Status in network-manager source package in Jammy:
  Incomplete
Status in netplan.io source package in Kinetic:
  Triaged
Status in network-manager source package in Kinetic:

  It would be nice if netplan offered an option to specify the wifi
  regulatory domain (country code).

  For devices such as the Raspberry Pi you are currently advertising that users
can simply setup Ubuntu Server headless by putting the wifi configuration
details in cloudinit/netplan's "network-config" on the FAT partition of the SD
card:
https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-your-raspberry-pi#3-wifi-or-ethernet
  But an option to set the wifi country code there does not seem to exist, so
may not work.