Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
Ubuntu better. Unfortunately, we cannot work on this bug because your
description didn't include enough information.

I just tried
1) guiverc@d960-ubu2:~$   firefox ~/d960_stats.txt
2) guiverc@d960-ubu2:~$   firefox /mnt/de2900/lan/guiverc/lshw_d755.txt
and firefox opened both times & showed me that file.

Firefox as a snap package runs confined, thus cannot read the whole
file-system, so your issue maybe trying to read files on your file-
system outside of where it has access (ie. user error), however you
provided no specifics.  Please be specific with examples of file
locations, or commands where it failed to operate.

I've marked this bug as 'incomplete' as no specific examples were
provided, and the firefox snap can open open files in $HOME, /mnt,
/media.. but is limited to certain directories only for security
purposes (confinement)

Bug reporting is mostly about finding & fixing problems thus preventing
future users from hitting the same bug.

I suspect a Support site would be more appropriate, eg.
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu. You can also find help with your
problem in the support forum of your local Ubuntu community
http://loco.ubuntu.com/ or asking at https://askubuntu.com or
https://ubuntuforums.org, or for more support options please look at
https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/community-support/709

  Unable to open any file:/// URL

Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:

  The way this configures/installs the snap makes it impossible to open
  any file either from the command-line or by specifying a link of the
  file:/// kind.  That makes firefox unusable for browsing local HTML
  documentation.

  Package: firefox 1:1snap1-0ubuntu2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.15.0-35.36-lowlatency 5.15.35
  Uname: Linux 5.15.0-35-lowlatency x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu82.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
  CurrentDesktop: XFCE
  Date: Tue Jun  7 02:27:27 2022
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" - Release i386 (20111011)
  Snap.Changes: no changes found
  SourcePackage: firefox
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to jammy on 2022-01-28 (130 days ago)