$ powerprofilesctl
  performance:
    Driver:     platform_profile
    Degraded:   no

  balanced:
    Driver:     platform_profile

* power-saver:
    Driver:     platform_profile

The other command gives me this - but note that I did an update in between and
a reboot to another kernel, while the effect reported keeps the same:

$ cpupower frequency-info
WARNING: cpupower not found for kernel 5.15.0-37

  You may need to install the following packages for this specific kernel:
    linux-tools-5.15.0-37-generic
    linux-cloud-tools-5.15.0-37-generic

  You may also want to install one of the following packages to keep up to date:
    linux-tools-generic
    linux-cloud-tools-generic

After inbstalling the tools package for the runinng kernel, i get this output,
but still no change from changing the governor in the settings or the matchjing
indicator, and both keep telling me the current state is "balanced" which does
not exist as governor as far as I understand:

$ cpupower frequency-info
analyzing CPU 0:
  driver: intel_pstate
  CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0
  CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0
  maximum transition latency:  Cannot determine or is not supported.
  hardware limits: 800 MHz - 4.80 GHz
  available cpufreq governors: performance powersave
  current policy: frequency should be within 800 MHz and 2.30 GHz.
                  The governor "performance" may decide which speed to use
                  within this range.
  current CPU frequency: Unable to call hardware
  current CPU frequency: 2.28 GHz (asserted by call to kernel)
  boost state support:
    Supported: yes
    Active: yes

And againgf, when I run the "studio-controls" application, this can
change the setting.

  Power settings have no effect and offer nonexisting options

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:

  The "power" area of the settings offer three options:

  powersave, balanced, and performance.

  As per cpufreq-info "balanced" is not a valid option.

  Also changing to any of the two really existing options does not
  change cpu frequency in a visible way.

  Maybe there is a connection between this and the bug i reported about
  the matching indicator:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/indicator-
  cpufreq/+bug/1977659

  I *can* actually switch between the values using the studio-controls
  application. changing values there leads to visible changes in
  cpufreq-info output and /proc/cpuinfo data shown.

  Package: gnome-control-center 1:41.4-1ubuntu13.2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.15.0-35.36-lowlatency 5.15.35
  Uname: Linux 5.15.0-35-lowlatency x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu82.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME