Your config does not contain:

Carrier Check = off

You probably need to add that line.

Packages, which is subscribed to wvdial in Ubuntu.

  wvdial returns with Huawei E160E error NO CARRIER

Status in wvdial package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: wvdial

  This error is not limited to wvdial, network-manager cannot either
  connect with similar errors. Wvdial however seems to give better
  logging information, so I'll attach log with hopefully relevant
  information.

  I have access to a Windows machine where the device works, so it is
  possible to connect with it.

  I have a Huawei E160E from Finnish provider Saunalahti. All the  AT
  commands seems to go through, but when trying to connect wvdial
  returns NO CARRIER, and tries to connect again, never succeeding.

  I have tried using both /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1 both giving the
  same errors.

  The wvdial.conf has been received from
  http://linux.fi/index.php/Wvdial#Saunalahti in to which I've added
  some debugging AT commands.

  [Dialer defaults]
  Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
  Init1 = ATZ
  Init2 = ATI
  Init3 = AT+GMR
  Init4 = AT+CSQ
  Init5 = AT^SYSINFO
  Init6 = AT+COPS?
  Init7 = AT+CGREG?
  Init8 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet.saunalahti"
  Phone = *99***1#
  Stupid Mode = 1
  Username = " "
  Password = " "

  Package: wvdial 1.60.3
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-22.33-generic 2.6.32.11+drm33.2
  Uname: Linux 2.6.32-22-generic i686
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Fri May 14 13:15:24 2010
  ProcEnviron: