I think the issue is that the firefox snap is not able to find
substitutes for the default pdf fonts when they are not embedded in the
document. PDF documents with embedded fonts render fine with the snap.

  Firefox PDF font rendering is often messed up

Status in Mozilla Firefox:
  Confirmed
Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:

  I don't know whether it is an ubuntu bug or a firefox bug but since I
  am running the mozilla-supported ubuntu snap of firefox 99.0.1 (on
  22.04 jammy) (firefox 100 not yet available on snap), posting it here.

  Many pdfs have messed-up fonts on this firefox. Following a reddit
  thread, I tried disabling browser.display.use_document_fonts in
  about:config. Then the pdfs render correctly, but html webpages have
  messed-up fonts.

  Reddit post with screenshots and sample URL here; previous reddit thread
linked therein.

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/uhz6d1/continued_messedup_font_rendering_in_firefox_pdf/

  Others (on this and previous thread) report it doesn't happen on other
  platforms. On this thread, someone confirms it on a Ubuntu VM, and
  someone else says it doesn't happen on Mint (based on Ubuntu but I
  think doesn't use snaps).