The issue is reproducible for me in two different manners:

First way:

1. Install gnome-tweaks and download a custom icon theme, for example:
[la-capitaine-icon-theme](https://github.com/keeferrourke/la-capitaine-icon-theme)
2. Move this icon theme to ~/.icons
3. Open gnome-tweaks and in Appearance -> Icons, select this icon theme
4. Open gnome-control-center and go to Appearance tab. *No need to do anything
further, just click on Appearance tab*

Other way:

1. Set a custom icon theme in gnome-tweaks (I am using
"la-capitaine-icon-theme", available at
https://github.com/keeferrourke/la-capitaine-icon-theme )
2. Minimize or close all open windows, and right-click to open desktop context
menu
3. Select "Change background"

The icons are reverted to Yaru-XX.

The problem is the fact that this icon reverting occurs when the
Appearance tab just opens rather than when some appearance setting is
changed (as if Ubuntu tries to revert theme and icon settings on launch
of Appearance tab, rather than invoking such a process on setting
change).

  Icon theme reverts to Yaru when entering Appearance settings

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:

  I upgraded to the 22.04 beta last week from 21.10. I use a custom icon
  theme. Whenever I enter the Appearance tab in settings the icon theme
  is set back to Yaru.

  Package: gnome-control-center 1:41.4-1ubuntu9
  CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME