** Tags removed: verification-needed verification-needed-jammy
** Tags added: verification-done verification-done-jammy

Packages, which is subscribed to wpa in Ubuntu.

  wpa can't connect to servers using TLS 1.1 or older

Status in wpa package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in wpa source package in Jammy:
  Fix Committed
Status in wpa package in Debian:

  * Impact
  wpa built with in openssl3 fails to connect to TLS 1.1 or lower server

  * Test case
  try to connect to a TLS <= 1.1 access point

  * Regression potential
  the patch lowers the security level in some situation for compatibility, it
shouldn't prevent connecting to newer hardware, still try to connect to
different type of wifi with different security levels

  those uses MD5-SHA1 as digest in its signature algorithm which no
  longer meets OpenSSL default level of security of 80 bits

  http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/hostap/2022-May/040563.html

  Workaround are described in #22 and #36 by basically using
  CipherString = DEFAULT@SECLEVEL=0

  which lowers the security level

  -------

  With the current jammy version of wpasupplicant (2:2.10-1), I cannot
  connect to the WPA Enterprise network eduroam, which is used by
  Universities worldwide. I get a "Connection failed" message or a
  request to re-enter the password.

  - I've re-tried the credentials: no fix ;-)

  - Tried a 21.10 live session on the same machine: works fine!

  - Manually downgraded wpasupplicant to the impish version
  (2:2.9.0-21build1): connected normally.

  - Upgraded wpasupplicant to the latest version: fails to connect
  again.

  Package: wpasupplicant 2:2.10-1
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Tue Jan 18 09:56:23 2022
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish" - Alpha amd64 (20211130)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>