Yes, problems in the amdgpu kernel module are a common cause of such
freezes.

We can only suggest you try a newer kernel:

Latest stable:
https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v5.18.10/amd64/

Latest development:
https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/drm-tip/2022-07-08/amd64/

** Tags added: amdgpu

** Summary changed:

- Blanked screen doesn't wake up after put into powersave
+ [amdgpu] Blanked screen doesn't wake up after put into powersave

** Package changed: mutter (Ubuntu) => linux (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to mutter in Ubuntu.

  [amdgpu] Blanked screen doesn't wake up after put into powersave

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:

  This is *similar* to #1968040 but I'm raising it as a separate issue
  as the workarounds there do not work for my system suggesting that
  this is indeed a separate bug.

  When allowing the system to blank the screen, it becomes impossible to
  awaken the screen some unknown length of time after DPMS poweroff is
  triggered. Neither the keyboard nor the mouse can be used to trigger
  the screens to power back on again once powered down by DPMS.

  My system is a custom-build desktop PC with a discrete AMD 6600XT GPU
  and two external 4k monitors.

  I have tried the workarounds in the above bug and neither worked.
  Namely pressing ctrl+alt+f1 (nor any other f-keys in combo with
  ctrl+alt) does not bring the monitors back to life, and adding
  MUTTER_DEBUG_ENABLE_ATOMIC_KMS=0 to /etc/environment does not change
  the behaviour in any way.

  The system is still responsive to the network and I can SSH into the
  box to investigate when in this scenario.

  Package: mutter (not installed)
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zcommon znvpair zavl icp
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu82.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
  Date: Thu Jul  7 09:32:16 2022
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish" - Release amd64
(20220419)
  SourcePackage: mutter