I found out that the bug is actually in poppler and have reported a bug
upstream, where it is being worked on.

** Also affects: poppler (Ubuntu)

** Bug watch added: gitlab.freedesktop.org/poppler/poppler/-/issues #1267
   https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/poppler/poppler/-/issues/1267

** Also affects: poppler via
   https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/poppler/poppler/-/issues/1267

Packages, which is subscribed to evince in Ubuntu.

  Regression in Ubuntu 22.04: Content of form field stored invisibly

Status in Poppler:
  Unknown
Status in evince package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in poppler package in Ubuntu:

  Evince on Ubuntu 22.04 is not able to handle some PDF forms correctly
  anymore that it was able to handle on Ubuntu 21.10 and on Ubuntu
  20.04.

  The symptom is that one can edit the form content and also save it,
  but that the entered text is only visible when the form field is
  focused and in edit mode. Otherwise the text it is invisible, also on
  printouts.

  Such bugs have been reported against Evince for a long time (e.g.,
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/poppler/+bug/265033) but I
  am reporting this as a new bug because for the current form with which
  I am experiencing this it is a regression.

  I have attached the problematic form with two form fields filled out, one in
the upper left corner and the big one in the lower half.
  I have produced this by taking the original, empty form (produced by somebody
else) and first opened it in Evince 41.4, which I have installed from the snap
package (revision 1017) on Ubuntu 22.04. I entered text in the upper left field
and saved the form.
  Then I opened the PDF in Evince 42.3 from the apt package of Ubuntu 22.04 and
entered text in the big field and saved the form.

  Evince 3.36 on Ubuntu 20.04 has the same (correct) behavior as Evince
  41.4.

  When I open the PDF again, only the text in the first field is
  visible. The text in the second field is visible only if I click into
  the field. The visibility of the field contents is the same for Evince
  41.4 (snap), Evince 42.3 (apt), and Okular 20.12.3 (snap). So it seems
  that the problem is with Evince 42.3 incorrectly saving the field
  content, not with displaying it.

  Firefox shows and prints the content of both fields, though.

  Note that I cannot switch back to Evince 41 because for some other
  forms that I have the exact same problem happens only with the old
  version and the new version fixes it. So it seems that something
  changed that fixed it for some forms and broke it for others.

  Package: evince 42.3-0ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu82.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Wed Jul  6 14:32:27 2022
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 21.10 "Impish Indri" - Release amd64 (20211012)
  RebootRequiredPkgs: Error: path contained symlinks.
  Snap.Changes:
   ID   Status  Spawn                      Bereit
Zusammenfassung
   137  Done    2022-07-06T12:48:33+02:00  2022-07-06T12:48:41+02:00
Installiere "evince" Snap
  SourcePackage: evince
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to jammy on 2022-06-22 (13 days ago)