Yes, this was fixed for boto+s3, but then we changed the default for
s3:// from boto to boto3.  Boto3 does not support glacier yet, so you
may just need to specify boto+s3:// instead.

Packages, which is subscribed to duplicity in Ubuntu.

  Download of vol1 in validate_encryption_settings() fails when using S3
  glacier

Status in Duplicity:
  Fix Released
Status in duplicity package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  Duplicity version: 0.8.12.1612
  ubuntu 20.04 LTS
  python 3.8.2

  When i try to restart a backup which goes to S3 (via boto3) (use of:
  --s3-use-deep-archive or --s3-use-glacier) it fails:

  Last full backup date: Wed Apr 29 17:45:32 2020
  RESTART: Volumes 2 to 2 failed to upload before termination.
           Restarting backup at volume 2.
  Attempt 1 failed. ClientError: An error occurred (InvalidObjectState) when
calling the GetObject operation: The operation is not valid for the object's
storage class
  Attempt 2 failed. ClientError: An error occurred (InvalidObjectState) when
calling the GetObject operation: The operation is not valid for the object's
storage class

  This is because a file stored in glacier cannot be downloaded. I dont
  know if this known?

  To solve this: either skip validate_encryption_settings() when using
  any of this storage backends or introduce an option to skip the
  download manually (e.g. --skip-download-on-restart)

  I fixed it for me with manully skipping the
  validate_encryption_settings() function.