Brian, Sebastien, do either of you have the ability to mark this as a
bug in Bionic as well for tracking purposes? (I don't seem to have
permission to do that). It would be excellent for your patches to be
backported to Bionic, regardless of _who_ submits such a patch.

Thank you very much in advance!

Packages, which is subscribed to evolution-data-server in Ubuntu.

  Google Contacts API Deprecated

Status in evolution-data-server:
  Fix Released
Status in evolution package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in evolution-data-server package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in evolution source package in Focal:
  Triaged
Status in evolution-data-server source package in Focal:
  Triaged
Status in evolution source package in Impish:
  Fix Released
Status in evolution-data-server source package in Impish:

  * Impact
  The google contacts integration with the GNOME component will stop working
since it relies on an API which is going to be shutdown

  * Testcase
  - use evolution
  - add a google account
  - go the contacts section

  The contacts stored on the google account should be listed, no error
  should be displayed

  * Regression potential
  The patch changes the google contact backend so any potential issue is likely
to be with contacts integration.

  --------------------------------

  I opened Evolution today and a red banner appeared on top with the
  following message:

  > Failed to connect address book “<em...@gmail.com> : Contacts”

  > Invalid request URI or header, or unsupported nonstandard parameter:
  Contacts API is being deprecated. Migrate to People API to retain
  programmatic access to Google Contacts. See
  https://developers.google.com/people/contacts-api-migration.

  I found the upstream bug report for this[0], which references the commit[1]
that fixes it.
  However, that commit is in release 3.42.0, whereas Ubuntu 21.10 currently has
3.40.4-1. Is it possible to backport this commit so that Evolution will
continue to work properly?

  [0]: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/-/issues/1658
  [1]:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution-data-server/-/commit/d63a1ce3921a6a6c573a6a