I don't believe this is related to any ubuntu-release-upgrader logic. I
will re-assign the bug to gnome-control-center since it sounds like
that's where you're configuring your proxy.

** Package changed: ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu) => gnome-control-
center (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: ubuntu-release-upgrader

  Manual proxy is partially cleared on 20.04 => 22.04 upgrade

Status in Release Upgrader:
  Invalid
Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:

  We installed 20.04.4 on a wiped SSD using the live USB stick after
  entering the credentials for our WLAN.  We set a manual proxy via
  Settings/Network before doing the installation.

  After the system came up, we set up a second user account, and set a
  manual proxy via Settings/Network in that account also.  We made no
  changes to /etc/apt/apt.conf.

  We installed openssh-server as well as aptitude and updated the
  system, rebooted, then connected to the system over ssh, ran screen
  and do-release-upgrade.

  The system upgraded normally to 22.04.1.

  After we rebooted we noticed that the manual proxy setting had been
  cleared from both user accounts (was disabled in Settings/Network)
  which was not desirable.

  However we noticed that aptitude was still making proxy requests,
  because /etc/apt/apt.conf contained a manual proxy setting:

       Acquire::http::Proxy "http://proxy.xxxxx.com:xxxxx/";;

  So this is inconsistent.  Ideally the proxy settings should not have
  been cleared from both user accounts.  But if that is to be the case,
  it should have also been removed from /etc/apt/apt.conf.