Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: system-config-printer (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to system-config-printer in Ubuntu.

  System-config-printer keeps asking for network printer credentials

Status in system-config-printer package in Ubuntu:

  Hello.

  I think I found a small bug in the printing process of Xubuntu
  20.04.02 LTS. I have a networked laser printer (Xerox Phaser 3250)
  that requires username/password credentials to print. The device is
  present in the CUPS page (see the Printers page in
  http://localhost:631) and uses the IPP protocol set to
  "ipp://192.168.1.10:631/ipp" URI. It is also visible in the system-
  config-printer window (XFCE Start button => Settings => Printers) and
  is set as default printer. The printer username/password are different
  than my PC username/password.

  Anyway, I noticed that the OS will sometimes pester me to enter the
  same credentials each time I try to print something. I recall the
  printing authorization window does have a "Remember password" checkbox
  that seemingly does nothing. Now why I am mentioning that this happens
  only sometimes? It's because I noticed that different programs will
  use different authorization windows to get printer credentials. For
  example, Mousepad will try to get credentials by using a CUPS popup
  dialog (I think). LibreOffice seems to popup its own small password
  entry window. This bug only applies to the cases where the printing is
  done via system-config-printer that uses its own authorization dialog.
  The printing works fine after credentials are entered though.

  So, after a short debug session I managed to narrow down the problem
  to this file: /usr/share/system-config-printer/jobviewer.py. I ran the
  applet.py and scp-dbus-service.py with the --debug option from command
  line to get some extra debug messages. Printing from Mousepad did not
  trigger any debug messages, but it did bring up the printing
  authorization dialog regardless. Like I've previously stated, Mousepad
  seems to use a different auth dialog, and I've verified (via seahorse)
  that this dialog works properly because it correctly stores the
  credentials into the keyring, and, if the Remember password checkbox
  is ticked, remembers them next time I try to print something. The
  problem only applies to the auth dialog triggered from jobviewer.py of
  system-config-printer. I managed to trigger the jobviewer auth dialog
  by trying to print something in LibreOffice Writer and then hitting
  Cancel in the small window that pops up. This will then trigger the
  *proper* jobviewer.py auth window to show up. It also triggers upon
  boot when there is something queued to be printed.

  It can also be reliably triggered queueing a print job, killing
scp-dbus-service.py and applet.py and re-running them in this order:
  1) /usr/share/system-config-printer/scp-dbus-service.py --debug
  2) /usr/share/system-config-printer/applet.py --debug

  Though this jobviewer.py auth dialog will successfully save the printer
credentials to the keyring, if the checkbox is ticked (verified with Seahorse),
it will fail to read them next time, assume the credentials are missing, and
ask the user to enter them. The error appears to happen in jobviewer.py:

  Line 1056: search_obj = ItemSearch(service, attrs)

  This line causes the following error to appear in the terminal:
  GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 19:28:31.663: g_dbus_connection_call_internal:
assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed

  The call fails to fetch any credentials and instead returns an empty
  result. I've written a short python script (see test.py) that
  reproduces the issue and triggers the same error.

  Related libsecret documentation:
  https://developer.gnome.org/libsecret/0.20/

  Package: system-config-printer 1.5.12-0ubuntu1.1
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.16
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CupsErrorLog: