On Ubuntu 22.10 I was able to connect a xbox one controller. However,
this only worked after upgrading the firmware of the controller to the
latest (by using Xbox Accessories app on Windows).

  Xbox (One) Wireless Controller won't connect

Status in gnome-control-center:
  Confirmed
Status in Linux:
  Confirmed
Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:

  Xbox One Wireless Controllers (Model 1708) refuse to connect via bluetooth
with Ubuntu 17.10 in the gnome-control-center.
  Placing the controller into pairing mode makes it visible on the Bluetooth
Devices list and the device pairs, but does not make the full connection needed
to pull the controller out of pairing mode.

  This renders my controller unusable with my Ubuntu PC unless I want to
  resort to using the wire (microUSB).

  Please fix. See the attached system information below.

  Package: gnome-control-center 1:3.26.2-0ubuntu0.2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.13.0-32.35-lowlatency 4.13.13
  Uname: Linux 4.13.0-32-lowlatency x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu3.7
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sat Feb 17 09:26:14 2018