** Changed in: gnome-shell

  Bursts of high CPU usage after triggering overview

Status in GNOME Shell:
  Opinion

Bug description:
  As requested in the upstream bug report
  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/issues/6137, I hereby
  file the downstream issue:

  I am experiencing high cpu usage of gnome-shell in situations where I
  would not expect it, leading to my fans running more often and wasting
  my battery on my Dell XPS 13 9310 2-in1.

  The problem can be seen in action here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9o7a7BGPE4
  See also the upstream report for syscap recordings of such situations.

  I think there might be a correlation with firefox being opened on
  another workspace (but no video or any other playback happening). At
  least everytime I notice that my an comes on for no reason and I fire
  up top to see gnome shell consuming too much cpu, when I kill all my
  firefox windows gnome shell cpu usage goes down as well, but that
  could be pure coincidence.

  At least I can safely rule out the triple buffering downstream ubuntu
  mutter patch, since I recompiled mutter without the patch and it does
  not really change the problem much.