I'm not sorry. The change to Mint packages was the best thing I did to my
desktop in a long time.
This has saved me from so much frustration already.

A recipe that works: https://www.osso.nl/blog/chromium-browser-without-
ubuntu-snap-linux-mint/

Respectfully,
Walter

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  [snap] chromium does not read root-owned files in $HOME

Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Today, I literally spent hours trying to figure out why I cound't
  upload a large file.

  Of course I thought the problem was the size of the file.

  It wasn't. The problem was that Chromium in Snap for some reason is
  confined so that it can SEE file-owned-by-root.zip, but NOT READ file-
  owned-by-root.zip.

  I tried to upload the big file onto a PsiTransfer webpage. And it
  simply stalled. The apache2 backend reported 400-errors and I got no
  useful info out of that.

  Chromium itself reported this in the Networking tab:

    PATCH https://PSITRANSFER_HOST/path  net::ERR_FAILED

  Which is totally useless. In no way could I expect that the ultimate
  cause was that the local file was not owned by me.

  _If I can see the file, and I have read-permissions on it, I expect
  that I can upload the file._

  Another example:

  $ ls -l ~/Junk/rode_muur*
  -rw-rw-r-- 1 walter walter 64773 aug 27 18:08 /home/walter/Junk/rode_muur.jpg
  -rw-rw-r-- 1 root   root   64773 aug 27 18:08
/home/walter/Junk/rode_muur_root.jpg

  Trying to upload rode_muur_root.jpg to e.g.
  https://www.filestack.com/fileschool/html/html-file-upload-tutorial-
  example/ yields this error-page:

    This site can’t be reached
    The webpage at
https://www.filestack.com/fileschool/html/html-file-upload-tutorial-example/fileupload.php
 might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web
address.
    ERR_ACCESS_DENIED

  That does not tell me that there is a problem with the local file.
  That looks like a remote problem, am I right?

  What would be the fix?

  - Either don't show the file, if you're not letting me access it;
  - or let me access the file;
  - or, if that isn't possible, give me a reasonable error message. Having to
look in journalctl [1] as root to find out why a client application is
misbehaving is just not acceptable.

  [1] # journalctl -t audit -n1 -o cat
  AVC apparmor="DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.chromium.chromium"
name="/home/walter/Junk/rode_muur_root.jpg" pid=768825 comm="ThreadPoolForeg"
requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=1000 ouid=0

  (I know that I'll be complaining to deaf ears. You have your reasons
  for putting all the browsers in snap. But from a user's perspective,
  this whole snap thing has been One Giant Disappointment. I'm actually
  considering moving to alternative distros after more than 10 perfectly
  satisfactory years on Ubuntu.)